I’m on a mission to eat healthier. By healthier I mean increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables, decreasing dairy and decreasing animal protein. Where will I get my protein do you ask? The right kinds of veggies and superfoods. For example, I just started using spirulina (it’s not in this recipe but could have been now that I think of it!) Here’s some info on it if you’re interested. Spirulina info. It’s loaded with more than just protein.
Not only is this salad full of veggies and nutritional value, it’s all raw and looks so pretty. The key to eating raw kale and Cabbage, in my opinion, is time. Give it time to soak in however you decide to dress it. Two to three hours and tossing it every 1/2 hour is how I do it. They’re both tough and hearty so soaking them softens them.
What you’ll need:
- One bunch of kale, coarsley chopped
- 1/2 head purple Cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced small and thin
- 1/2 yellow pepper, sixes small and thin
- 10 dried figs, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1/4 cup raw hemp hearts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup (or more depending how much you like) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- S & P
What to do:
- Prepare and mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for a total of 2-3 hours minimum, tossing every 1/2 hour the first 3 hours.