This was a perfect meal for the weekend considering it was damp and “chilly” outside. Even if you don’t like my jokes I guarantee you’ll like my recipe. I always say to feel free and make it your own how you choose!
My goal is to stop eating canned goods. So, I use dried beans and a mix of fresh and jarred tomatoes for this recipe.
My very special spicy sauce is the white sauce you see here. It’s Greek yogurt based but feel free to use what you like i.e. Sour cream. The red is a Mexican hot chili sauce…wowza its spicy! I can’t even tell you how to make it; it’s my momma’s.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 cups dry black beans
- 2 cups dry kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups dry great northern beans
- 1/2 cup dry green lentils
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 2 1/2 sweet bell peppers, coarsley chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped, plus more for topping
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 oz Campari tomatoes, quartered
- 24 oz strained tomatoes
- 4 tbls nutritional yeast
- 4 tbls cumin
- 4 tbls coriander
- 5 tbls chili powder
- 4 dashes of franks hot sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, reserve some for topping
- S & P
Here’s what to do:
- Hydrate the beans and lentils according to their instructions. If you’re not using dried, canned are fine too just skip this step and rinse them all clean.
- Heat the Dutch oven on medium heat with some olive oil and, once hot, brown the turkey. Season it with S & P and some cumin.
- Set aside and add some more oil to the Dutch oven.
- Add the onions and sautée for 2 minutes. Add the peppers and carrots, more S & P and sautée another 5 minutes stirring occasionally until soft.
- Add the garlic and stir continuously for 1 minute. Add the Campari tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add the strained toms plus a little water that I used to rinse out the jar.
- Add all the spices, nutritional yeast, cilantro, S &P and stir to combine.
- Let the pot reduce a bit and then add in the browned turkey and beans.
- Summer on low for an hour stirring occasionally.
- Top with fresh cilantro, red onion, and/or any of your favorite toppings.